Friday, March 25, 2005

Different companies - different styles.

I just ran into this blog-entry thanks to Scoble, who pointed me at it. John Porcaro writes about the different ways two companies deal with their employees personal matters

I had to think about what my mom told me, when I told her about my plans to move to the U.S. one day.
She tried to explain to me, that almost everything work-related in the U.S is horrible, compared with Europe.
That you have much less holiday, worse insurance coverage, worse working environment, worse bosses. Everything worse, worse, worse.....

Of course, I was sure, this couldn't be true, since everything beeing worse just seemed unrealistic. If it were true, every U.S. citizien would have left to work in Europe or elsewhere.

After reading Johns post, i came to the following conclusion: It doesn't matter where you are or what kind of job you have, you can always be lucky in getting a good employer, or be unlucky and work for an a**hole company.

So thanks John, for restoring my confidence in my plans! Hopefully one day in the not to far future, I'll be able to pursue them!

3 Comments:

Blogger kelly said...

As a working stiff in the U. S. I have to tell you it is pretty fair to say when you work, you work for other people, not really companies. Companies enable good people, or bad people. So, I have to agree with you. It isn't all good or bad anywhere.

Me

12:16 PM  
Anonymous John Porcaro said...

When I interview for jobs (or talk to friends about changing jobs), I try to make the point that you're interviewing them as much as they're interviewing you. The "free market" theory works for employees as well as products--bad employers will have unhappy employees, who will produce less than good employers with happy employees. Over time, market forces will reward good employers, and happy employees will only work for good employers.

I think there really are plenty of both kinds of companies in the US, it's up to the individual to find the right fit.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Stitch 2.0 said...

Like I stated in the post, I can only fully agree with you!!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home